St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, Parish House and Rectory
[Return to list]
Dewey Decimal: LPCDR 
Primary Author: Landmarks Preservation Commission
Secondary Author:
Additional Authors:
Year Published: 2016
Number of pages:
Resource Type: Designation Report
Description: St. Michael’s Parish House to the service of God in memory of Thomas McClure Peters, Rector – 1858-1893. St. Michael’s Church was founded in 1807 by several parishioners of Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan to serve the summer residents of the Bloomingdale section of upper Manhattan. In October 1853 St. Michael’s first church building burned down and was replaced by a new sanctuary close to the Bloomingdale Road the following year. Its second church building was replaced with a much larger, grander church in 1890 to meets the needs of its growing congregation. The old church which had been moved back and continued to be used during the construction of its replacement was demolished in early 1892. The church was constructed between 1890 and 1891. The parish house was constructed from 1896 to 1897 and was completed in 1901. The rectory was built between 1912 and 1913. The open-work metal clocks in the campanile were installed between 1915 and 1927. Isaac A. Hopper was the builder of the church.
Architectural Styles:
   Richardsonian Romanesque
   Romanesque Revival

   View PDF (2016---St.-Michael-s-Episcopal-Complex.pdf)

   New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission Reports: Manhattan
   New York Buildings
   Manhattan Upper West Side