New York Botanical Garden Museum (Now Library) Building, Fountain of Life, and Tulip Tree Allee 
[Return to list]
Full Address: Watson Drive and Garden Way, Bronx, NY
Alternative Address:
Year Built: 1898-1911
Year Designated: 2009
Year Published: 2009
Architect: Robert W. Gibson, Charles E. Tefft
Key words: civic space, Elizabeth Gertrude Knight Britton, Nathaniel Lord Britton, Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, England, Bronx Park, Lorillard family, Addison Brown and Charles Daly, New York State Legislature in 1891, Calvert Vaux, Samuel Bowne Parsons, Jr., New York Architectural Terra Cotta Co., individual landmark
Notes: The original rear central wing of the Museum Building was demolished, and the Harriet Barnes Pratt Library Wing was built in 1964-65.In 1960-61, the original balustrade that curved behind the fountain (on which lampposts were placed) was replaced by a brick wall (now painted) with concrete coping and curved ends. Additions to the fountain are: two steel flagpoles, donated by Edward D. Adams were re-installed on the curved ends. The Tulip Tree Allee has had Museum drives, the installation of a seating area and drinking fountain and other minor renovations.
Architectural Styles:
   Beaux Arts
   Renaissance Revival

Files:
   View PDF (2009-newyorkbotanicalgardenmuseum.pdf)

Subjects:
   New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission Reports: Bronx
   New York Buildings