Central Ridgewood Historic District 
[Return to list]
Full Address: Roughly bounded by Woodbine St, Fresh Pond Rd, Forest Av, Onderdok Av and 71 Av
Alternative Address:
Year Built: 1906-mid-1920s
Year Designated: 2014
Year Published: 2014
Architect: Louis Berger & Company
Key words: Queens suburban development, Row houses, German immigrants, German-American neighborhoods, Low-cost housing, Kreischer brick, Kreischer Brick Manufacturing Company, Lutheran Church and Parsonage of the Covenant, Ridgewood Democratic Club, Queens Labor Lyceum, 1900s, historic district
Notes: Most of the buildings within the historic district were designed by Louis Berger & Company. However, many other developers and architects contributed to the construction of row houses, including: Paul Stier, August Bauer, Henry Schlachter, Kilian Schurger, Jacob Rodler, Ignatz Martin, Anton Kluepfel, Christian Doenecke, John Eisenhauer, Charles Fritz, Louis Allmendinger, Henry C. Brucker, Cohn Bros., Frederick Dessau, Koch & Wagner, Carl L. Otto, Adam Schlachter, Siegfried H. Schmidt, Slee & Bryson, John H. Vandervegt, Jr., and Walter B. Wills
Architectural Styles:
   Neo-Grec
   Renaissance Revival
   Romanesque Revival

Files:
   View PDF (2014-CentralRidgewoodHistoricDistrict.pdf)

Subjects:
   Housing
   New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission Reports: Queens
   New York History
   Queens Ridgewood