George William and Anna Curtis House 
[Return to list]
Full Address: 234 Bard Avenue, Staten Island, NY
Alternative Address:
Year Built: 1859
Year Designated: 2016
Year Published: 2016
Architect: Undetermined
Key words: 1850s, 1859, mid-19th century, Italianate, pattern-book-inspired, country residence, George William Curtis, Anna Curtis, Elliottville, Samuel MacKenzie Elliot, Sydney Howard Gay, Josephine Shaw Lowell, free-standing, An Ornamental Farm House, Andrew Jackson Downing, Cottage Residences, A Treatise on the Theory and Practice of Landscape Gardening, The Architecture of Country Houses, Rural Essays, residential architecture, porch, alternations, civil rights, intellectual and public interests, Church of the Redeemer, Board of Education, Richmond County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Woman’s Club of Staten Island, Curtis High School, “a prominent figure in the life of Staten Island...a strong advocate for woman suffrage”, Edward Cary, “good wars”, Francis George Curtis, Peter Larsen, restoration.
Notes: A small one-story rear addition and a projecting side entrance were added prior to 1967. The front façade of the house has been restored. In 1925, Francis George Curtis, the son of George and Anna Curtis, sold most of the property with the exception of the house. In 1928, Francis George Curtis also sold the house. The house’s current owners, who have owned the house since 1999, have undertaken an extensive restoration of the house’s front façade.
Architectural Styles:

   View PDF (2016-George-William-and-Anna-Gurtis-House.pdf)

   New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission Reports: Staten Island
   Staten Island West Brighton
   New York Buildings